Executive Programme: Collecting Contemporary Art (Mar 2019 Intake)
當代藝術收藏 行政課程 (2019年3月開課)Course Code: 1675-DP091A (CE 68-107-00/81)
APPLICATION OPEN FOR 2019 INTAKE New
Programme delivered by Central Saint Martins in Hong Kong.
An intensive three-day schedule over Friday to Sunday (8 -10 March 2019).
Tuition Fee: HK$20,000 (HK$18,000 early-bird rate applies, please call 2910 7645 for details)
Collaboration between central saint martins and hku space
This programme represents a collaboration between HKU SPACE and Central Saint Martins (CSM).
This programme is tailor-made for novice art collectors and business professionals. The entire programme consists an intensive three-day module delivered by a Central Saint Martins’ lecturer from London.
On completion of this programme, participants should be able to:
- examine local and international art in context as outlined by veteran practitioners from London, Hong Kong and Shanghai, covering Western, Asian and local perspectives;
- track up-and-coming artists and art investment trends, understand the strategies, and acquire a set of practical skills in collecting contemporary art;
- deal with special topics including purchasing art online, documentation, art valuation, art investment and corporate collecting, by learning from our CSM lecturer, representatives from art fairs' senior management team, gallery owners, industry practitioners, HKU SPACE academic staff and fly-in academics from Asia and China; and
- obtain the latest knowledge through interactive lectures, conversations with local art practitioners and unique experiences at galleries, artists’ studios, museums and exhibitions.
HKU SPACE International College
With the motto ‘Education with a Global Vision’, HKU SPACE International College (IC) was established in 2003 to offer full-time degree programmes for young adults. In the 2015/16 academic year, IC offers more than 30 full-time programmes in collaboration with overseas universities.
As the demand for postgraduate qualifications has been on the rise, IC introduced postgraduate diploma, taught master’s degree as well as CSM executive series back in 2011. Over five years of development, IC has been running annual executive series with top-notch lecturers from CSM. IC’s latest developments include its unprecedented collaboration with CSM and Art Basel on executive education in 2015, and the launch of two master’s programmes with Central Saint Martins and London College of Communication in 2016.
Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London
Central Saint Martins was formed from the merger of two historical art and design colleges, St Martin’s School of Art founded in 1854 and Central School of Arts & Crafts founded in 1896.The two colleges merged to become Central Saint Martins, bringing together their internationally renowned traditions into a new dynamic formation.
Today, CSM is one of the world’s premier arts, design and fashion colleges with a reputation based around the achievements of its graduates, current staff and students. CSM students are typically restless in developing beyond the accepted norms of their subject that places the college at the heart of London’s dynamic creative scene.
With its 150 years of history, CSM’s famous alumni include some of the most important British and international artists from famous painters such as Lucien Freud and Frank Auerbach who studied fine art at Saint Martin’s in the middle of the 20th century; to Sir James Dyson, the industrial designer and founder of Dyson Industries; A.S. Byatt, the British author; Colin Firth, the actor and winner of BAFTA’s Best Actor Award and to the latest wave of the world’s celebrated designers including Katharine Hamnett, Marc Jacobs, John Galliano, Alexander McQueen and Stella McCartney. www.arts.ac.uk/csm
The entire programme consists a three-day module delivered by a Central Saint Martins lecturer from London.
8 - 10 March 2019, Friday to Sunday (21 hours) - 3 Days
- A three-day module led by CSM lecturer on how art is bought and sold; what to buy, when to buy and how to best make a knowledgable purchase
- Converse with local veteran practitioners in the backroom of galleries
- Understand key strategies employed by galleries and institutions in spotting new talents and building up their collections
- Gain access to key corporate and public collections and consultancies
*Notes: Module contents and dates are subject to changes for 2019 Intake.
Lecturers & Speakers
- Stephanie Dieckvoss, Culture and Enterprise Programme;
Associate Lecturer, BA Culture, Criticism and Curation, Central Saint Martins
- Andrew Marsh, Lecturer, Central Saint Martins (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Tobias Berger, Head of Art, Tai Kwun (Central Police Station Revitalisation Project) (2016, 2017)
- Jody Beenk, Head, Preservation and Conservation, University of Hong Kong Libraries (2016)
- Jehan Chu, Director, Vermillion Art Collections (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Lucie Chang, Art Curator at Hong Kong Parkview (2015, 2016)
- Halley Cheng, Artist (2016)
- Stephen Cheng, Founder, The Empty Gallery (2016)
- Valerie Doran, Curatorial Director, Hanart TZ Gallery (2016, 2017)
- Mimi Chun, Director, Blindspot Gallery (2015, 2016)
- Jennifer Ellis, Curator, Edouard Malingue Gallery, Co-founder of the Young Collector’s Collective (2017) New
- Dr. Michelle Huang, Assistant Professor, Department of Visual Studies, Lingnan University (2015, 2016)
- Dr. Florian Knothe, Director, HKU University Museum and Art Gallery (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Simon Kirby, East Asia Affiliate, Victoria Maio Gallery (2017) New
- Victor Kwok, General Manager, Project Management Department, Henderson Land Development Co. Ltd. (2016)
- Catherine Maudsley, Art Historian and Curator (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Christoph Noe, Director, The Ministry of Art; Curator for 'Art Hunting in Hong Kong' module (2016, 2017)
- Henrietta Tsui-Leung, Founder and Director of Galerie Ora-Ora; Founder and Co-President of Hong Kong Art Gallery Association (2015, 2016)
- Keith Lam, New Media Artist, Director of Dimension+ (2015, 2016)
- William Lim, Director, CL3; Artist and Private Collector (2016)
- Kelvin Lim, Managing Director/ Founding Partner, openUU (2017) New
- Francis Li Chung-hung, Founder, Curator International Art Consultant Limited; Private Collector (2016, 2017)
- Adeline Ooi, Director Asia, Art Basel (2015, 2016)
- Alison Pickett, Corporate Art and Sculpture Consultant, Swire Properties (2016, 2017)
- Laure Raibaut, Executive Director, de Sarthe Gallery (2016)
- Magnus Renfrew, Former Deputy Chairman, Asia, Bonhams (2016)
- Franco Savadori, Curatorial Director, Parkview Art Hong Kong (2016)
- Katherine Schaefer, Director, Simon Lee Gallery (2016)
- Claudia Schachenmann, Managing Director, Bureaux Schachenmann (2017) New
- Katie de Tilly, Director, 10 Chancery Lane Gallery (2016)
- Veronica Castillo, Head, Collection & Exhibition Services, M+ (2017) New
- Ken Wong, Head, Learning and Participation, West Kowloon Cultural District Authority (2017) New
- Mimi Brown, Director, Spring Workshop (2015)
- Linus WL Cheung, JP, Private Collector (2015)
- Inti Guerrero, Curator for 'Art Hunting in Hong Kong' module (2015)
- Dr. Yeewan Koon, Assistant Professor, Department of Fine Art, HKU (2015)
- Alan Lau, Board Co-Chair, Para Site Hong Kong; Senior Partner, McKinsey; Private Collector (2015)
- Dr. Aenon Loo, Associate Director, White Cube Hong Kong (2015)
- Doreen Merkel, Executive Director, Lotus Fine Arts Logistics (2015)
- Hammad Nasar, Head of Research & Programmes, Asia Art Archive (2015)
- Dr. Lars Nittve, CEO and Chairman at Nittve Information AB (Sweden); Nittve Information Ltd (Hong Kong); former Executive Director, M+, West Kowloon Cultural District (2015)
- Dominique Perregaux, Director, Art Statements (2015)
- Pascal de Sarthe, Director, de Sarthe Gallery (2015)
- Marc Spiegler, Global Director, Art Basel (2015)
- Anthony Tao, Director, Gallery EXIT (2015, 2017)
- Dr. Irene Tsang, Programme Director of Art and Design, HKU SPACE (2015, 2017)
- Adrian Wong, Co-founder and Director of Embassy Projects [an arts consultancy and independent production studio] (2015, 2017)
- Shane Aspegren, Artist (2017) New
- Chantal Wong, Head of Strategic Development, Asia Art Archive (2017) New
- Amy Wood, Former Marketing Manager & Art Expert, AXA ART Asia (2015)
- Samson Young, Sound Artist (2015)
Notes: The list of lecturers and speakers in 2018 will be updated in due course.
Visit to Art Galleries/ Musuems/ Art Spaces
- University Museum and Art Gallery, HKU (2015, 2016, 2017) - http://www.hkumag.hku.hk
- Art Basel show in Hong Kong (2015, 2016, 2017) - www.artbasel.com/hong-kong
- William Lim’s private collection (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Alisan Fine Arts (2017) - http://www.alisan.com.hk/en/ New
- Gagosian (2017) - https://www.gagosian.com/ New
- Edward Malingue Gallery (2017) - https://edouardmalingue.com/ New
- Massimo de Carlo (2017) - http://www.massimodecarlo.com/galleries New
- Lucie Chang Fine Arts (2017) - http://www.luciechangfinearts.com/about New
- Blindspot Gallery (2015, 2016) - www.blindspotgallery.com
- de Sarthe Gallery (2016) - www.desarthe.com
- Galerie Ora-Ora (2015, 2016) - www.ora-ora.com
- Parkview art collection (2015, 2016)
- Pearl Lam Galleries (2015, 2016, 2017) - www.pearllam.com
- Simon Lee Gallery (2015, 2016, 2017) - www.simonleegallery.com
- Spring Workshop (2015, 2016, 2017) - www.springworkshop.org
- The Empty Gallery (2016) - www.theemptygallery.com
- Alan Lau's private collection (2015)
- Ben Brown Fine Arts (2015) - www.benbrownfinearts.com
- Gallery EXIT (2015, 2017) - www.galleryexit.com
- Grotto Fine Art (2015) - www.grottofineart.com
- Hanart TZ Gallery (2015) - www.hanart.com
- Lehmann Maupin (2015) - www.lehmannmaupin.com
- White Cube Hong Kong (2015, 2017) - www.whitecube.com
Notes: The list of galleries/ art spaces in 2018 will be updated in due course.
Certificates of Attendance
Upon completion of the entire programme, students will receive a certificate of attendance issued by Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London (subject to 80% of attendance rate)
HK$20,000 (HK$18,000 early-bird rate applies, please call 2910 7645 for details)
*Subject to change
- Corporate or Group Enrolment
- HKU SPACE-IC Executive Series Alumni
The fee for joining the optional Art tour (to be confirmed) will be additional, for more details, please visit HKU SPACE Website.
Interested individuals can apply online by clicking here. Parties interested in group/ corporate booking please contact programme staff for further arrangements.
Applicants will be notified of the application result and will receive a letter of acceptance. Applicants will have to present the Payment Notification Form upon payment of course fee at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- Cash or EPS, or
- Crossed cheque payable to "HKU SPACE"
(Please specify the programme/course title, applicant's name, and HKU SPACE student card number, if applicable.)
Note: Holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for modules with a tuition fee for a minimum of HK$2,000-HK$40,000, however, the applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
Click here to check out your nearest Enrolment Counters. Only Learning Centres with the icon can process payment.
Notes to Applicants
- Applicants may be required to pay the tuition fee in cash or by EPS if the programme is to start shortly. Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (refer to Note 2 and Note 3), subject to the School’s discretion..
- HKU SPACE reserves the right to cancel a programme in cases of insufficient enrolment or unforeseen difficulties arising from running the programme. In such circumstances, tuition fees would be refundable.
- In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS or cheque will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant programme brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme staff for details.
- Payment and enrolment to a programme cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a programme, the student is not allowed to switch to another programme. When a transfer is approved by International College under special circumstances, a processing fee of 10% of the programme fee will be levied on every approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail. An administration charge applies for each additional copy of receipts. For additional copies of receipts, please call 2910 7645. An administration charge of HK$30 for each additional copy applies. The receipt(s) is not a guarantee that your application is successful.
- If a short course is postponed due to unforeseen circumstances, including staff illness, flight delay or cancellation, HKU SPACE, and partner university if applicable, will make every reasonable effort to reschedule the class or to make up the schedule in the same week. HKU SPACE apologises for any inconvenience caused if this happens and urges you to ring to IC office at 2910 7555 if you have any concerns.
- The Director may, at his discretion, refuse to admit an applicant.
- Due to copyright issues, and to allow a free exchange of ideas among participants, the use of audio and/or visual recording is strictly prohibited in class.
Applicants should normally hold:
- a bachelor's degree awarded by a recognised university, preferably with experience in art business or art-related projects; or
- a recognised tertiary level qualification, with substantial years of relevant experience;
LECTURES AND VISITS 2017
SHANGHAI ART AND MUSEUM TOUR 2016
- Lecture delivered by East China Normal University's School of Art
- Expose to the unique contemporary art scene in China, via a curator-led visit to art and cultural districts, private museums and exhibition spaces in Shanghai
- For details about the 2016 tour, please click here
Lectures and visits 2016
Visit to Art Galleries/ Art Spaces 2015